As one of Queenstown's leading five star accommodation providors, we want to not only provide our guests with a world class, luxury facility, but also ensure we remain and continue to improve on our position as an environmentally friendly hotel.
Millbrook Resort and the Environment
Qualmark is New Zealand’s official star grading system and is a joint venture between Tourism NZ and the AA. Every accommodation provider who is Qualmark rated has undergone a rigorous independent assessment and licensing process to become part of the Qualmark licensing system.
As well as having a Qualmark 5 Star Hotel Rating, Millbrook Resort also has a Qualmark Green Gold Rating, which recognises sustainable initiatives employed by tourism businesses in New Zealand, and is the highest environmental grading Qualmark issues.
The stunning alpine setting and rural environment are an essential part of what attracts visitors to Millbrook, and Queenstown as a whole, so it's not surprising that preserving it for future generations is foremost in our thoughts.
All businesses that have a Qualmark are assessed on their environmental performance, which recognises businesses for their initiatives in energy, waster, water, conservation and the community. Our Enviro-Gold Rating is in acknowledgement of Millbrook's continued effort to operate as a sustainable resort.
We work hard to support our natural environment by undertaking a number of actions and making smart choices. We recognise the importance of taking these steps to achieve the best environmental performance possible whilst maintaining our luxury 5 star product; which we recognise sometimes do not naturally co-exist.
We will try to actively reduce or mitigate any adverse effects on our environment through wise planning and development, enhancing natural watercourses and open areas and buying produce locally when available. We will also actively try to use our natural resources efficiently, reducing and disposing of all waste responsibly and providing a socially and environmentally responsible product, without compromising on our stakeholders’ comfort and quiet enjoyment.
Reduction in energy consumption actions:
- Introduction of energy efficient lighting throughout the resort facilities, with a policy to use super efficient LED lighting technology where possible when replacing existing lamps.
- Offering a towel and linen change system which allows you to help the environment by choosing how often to have your towels and linen laundered.
- Offering guests scheduled complimentary shuttles to Arrowtown and Queenstown town centres to reduce traffic effects associated with multiple individual trips.
- Offering extended car parking before check in and after check out.
- Promoting shuttle usage for airport transfers.
- Utilisation of our waste wood from trimming trees to supplement heating in outlets.
Water use reduction actions:
- Mulching of all gardens to retain moisture and reduce irrigation requirements.
- To reduce our potable (treated for drinking) water usage, we source a specific irrigation supply for our golf course irrigation.
- Where necessary, water features include a recycling function to reduce top-up demands.
Waste reduction options:
- Recycling in place for Residential (kerbside) and commercial aspects of the resort.
- Provision of facilities for guests to recycle.
- Chipping and composting of green waste for reuse on communal landscaped areas.
- Food waste from outlets diverted to local lifestyle farmer for chicken feed or included in the composting system.
Natural environment enhancements:
- Measured improvement of the water quality in the natural water course, Millstream, from where it enters the resort to where it leaves.
- Ongoing improvements to the banks and wetlands within the resort, which has led to an increase in the native birdlife.
Carbon Zero provides robust tools for individuals, organisations and events to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions or carbon footprint with the highest level of credibility and integrity. Visit www.carbonzero.co.nz for more information.
For more information on Qualmark and their Environmental programme, visit www.qualmark.co.nz