Millbrook Resort opened its doors to the public as a luxury golf and lifestyle resort on 6th March 1993.
With the vision of providing a luxury Country Club environment for everyone, Millbrook has since become one of the leaders in the luxury resort industry in New Zealand and the world.
Over the last 20 years, Millbrook has received a number of awards and accolades, positioning it as one of the leading accommodation, golf, spa, dining, property and resort venues in the world.
Some of the key recognitions Millbrook has won over the years include:
- Voted No 1 Hotel in New Zealand by leading website Wotif.com in 2014
- Voted as ‘Stellar Stay’ in Australia and New Zealand by leading travel website HotelsCombined in 2014
- Voted No 1 Hotel in New Zealand Trip Advisor Travellers' Choice Awards in 2013 and 2014
- Voted Leading Golf Resort in New Zealand at the World Travel Awards in 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Best Asia Pacific Golf Course in the Shanghai Travelers’ Club 2013 Luxury Travel Awards
- Voted as one of the Top 25 Hotels in the South Pacific and Top 25 Luxury Hotels in New Zealand in the 2013 Trip Advisor Travellers' Choice Awards
- Voted Best Luxury Wellness Spa for Australasia & Oceania in the World Luxury Hotel Awards 2013
- The Millhouse was awarded the Wine Spectator Magazine Award for Wine Excellence in June 2012
- Executive Chef, Russell Heron and The Millhouse was awarded the Beef and Lamb Award for Excellence in 2011 and 2012
- Executive Chef, Russell Heron was the New Zealand Beef and Lamb Ambassador in 2010
- Named Best Overseas Golf Resort by Luxury Travel Magazine Australia in 2010, 2011 and 2nd Best in 2012
- Named Fifth Best Hotel within two hours of the city by Luxury Travel Magazine Australia in 2011 and 2012
- Named as one of the Top 25 Hotels in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific by Travel and Leisure Magazine in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008
- Named one of the World's Best Spas by luxury lifestyle website gayot.com
- The Spa at Millbrook is consistently recommended by Conde Naste Magazine as one of the world's best day spas
Millbrook among world's best golf resorts
Wed, 21st Apr 2010
The Luxury Travel and Style magazine has placed Millbrook 4th in its Gold List of best overseas golf resorts, behind the likes of Scotland’s legendary St Andrews course, Pebble Beach in California and New Zealand’s Kauri Cliffs.
Its survey goes to tens of thousands of discerning, travel-loving readers and clients of Virtuoso, the world’s most exclusive travel agents, to vote on their favourite destinations each year.
Millbrook General Manager David Onions says the team at Millbrook is absolutely delighted to be consistently recognised as one of the world’s top golf resorts.
“To be recognized as one of the world’s best places to play golf, amongst such illustrious company, is a fantastic accolade. It’s ideal timing because a lot of Australians are booking their ski holidays now.
“Millbrook is the perfect choice for a winter holiday because it’s close to the action of Queenstown and the ski fields, just a 20-minute drive to Coronet Peak, yet has a tranquillity and ambience about it which allows people to unwind in five-star style with world-class golf, spa and restaurant facilities on their doorstep.”
Last year, for the fourth year in a row, Millbrook was ranked among the top 25 hotels in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific by the prestigious Travel & Leisure annual World’s Best reader’s poll. It was New Zealand’s only South Island property to make the list.
The Spa at Millbrook was also the only spa in Australasia to make it to the internationally-renowned Top 10 Hotel Spas Worldwide list.
Mr Onions pays tribute to the hard work and vision of the team driving the ongoing upgrade and modification of Millbrook’s golf courses which is due to be completed by Christmas 2010.
“It’s an exciting time for us. We continually strive to be the best and I firmly believe the work we’re doing this year will take golf at Millbrook to a whole new level and provide greater flexibility and satisfaction for our golfers.”
Millbrook’s new Coronet Nine, designed by Turner McPherson and officially opened in January by Prime Minister John Key, follows a links layout that is new to Millbrook and an extension of its already world-class offering.
Golf course designer Greg Turner of Turner McPherson Golf says the course layout is new to Millbrook, designed with careful consideration to the natural landscapes.
“The natural contours of the land for golf course construction are brilliant,” he says. “The exceptional surrounding landscape means that nothing within the course itself needed to be contrived.”
The Coronet Nine and the Remarkables Nine are currently in play and work is now underway to redesign and reconfigure four holes on the Arrow Nine, the third and final part of a $500 million Millbrook development master plan.
By Christmas 2010 Millbrook will become a fully interchangeable 27-hole golf course with The Remarkables Nine, Coronet Nine and Arrow Nine creating three different 18-hole combinations, where any two out of the three 'nines' can be played together.